Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Sprung From the Loins of A Rabid Sea Creature Beast

I bumped into a guy the other day who’s no longer able to attend my spin classes; we chit-chatted for a second and it was after he looked down and saw my girls that the following conversation took place:

Guy: Are these your rug rats?
Me: Yup. This one’s Ruby and this one’s May.
Guy: They’re yours?
Me: Yah.
(Guy stands there in a stunned silence for awhile)
Me: (nervous laughter) What?
Guy: They’re gorgeous! I mean, they are really, really pretty.
Me: Oh, thanks.
Guy: No. I mean, really. They’re beautiful. And they’re yours. (Half statement, half question.)
Me: (I’m losing patience at this point) Yes!
Guy: (Shakes his head in disbelief) Wow.

And then we parted ways but geez, don’t sound so surprised, dude. I know I'm no super model, especially early in the morning, sans make up and clad in gym-wear but throw me a freaking bone.
Apparently, my "jealousy makes you ugly" theory (see previous post) has been proven to be more correct than I thought.

10 comments:

Meredith said...

ok. 2 things:
1)if you weren't so aesthetically pleasing, those old rich men wouldn't have goosed you so much when we'd work those newport gala parties in 1998 and 1999.
2)it does remind me of every day in high school when someone would find out elizabeth was my sister and then drop jaw and then say, "SHE'S your sister? she's so pretty." and then within 10 to 30 seconds they'd tag on "you don't look alike at all."

Annie said...

Ok Merz, try this on for size. It's Youth Conference. Some well meaning (?) youth leader takes me aside and says "That Elizabeth is so pretty. I know you two are best friends. Aw, that must be so hard for you." Hm. Yes, Sister BlahBlahBlah. Sometimes it was.

MOMMACITA said...

Stay away from creepy spin man. He has an smell about him that I can't put my finger on.

Mikey Garlock Family said...

WOW! Wow. The nerve I tell ya!

Kristen said...

Um. You're one of the prettiest people I know - can I put a big WTF on that dude right now?

And of course your kids are gorgeous, look at your husband too! Sheesh - gorgeous parents=gorgeous kiddos.

And I promise I'm not macking on your husband, I'm just saying.....

PS - side note - i finished 4 pairs of those baby booties today, check my blog. :)

[alisar] said...

Methinks you have mistaken his reverence for Reynolds beauty for surprise. Did you by chance smell of exotic spices?

Annie said...

Only the exotic spices of my post-spin aroma.

[JennyB] said...

To me, it sounds like the guy was crushin on ya and didn't know you had kids (and maybe didn't know you were married). You're a looker and so are your adorable girls!

Juls said...

I hate the expression "rug rats". I agree that he probably didn't think you were married and wanted you to think that he didn't think you were hot!

camie said...

He probably thought you looked too young to have two beautiful children, the oldest almost 5 years old! This is coming from someone with gray roots and crows feet. Relish the comment!