
What Ruby (4) has to say about her Type 1 Diabetes:
"I have to care about my Diabetes to make sure I eat no sugary stuff without my Mom there. A lot of my friends know that I shouldn’t have sugary stuff. May-May doesn’t have Diabetes; I’m the only one in the family that has it. When I die, I won’t have Diabetes anymore; they don’t have Diabetes in heaven. When I get to eat something, my Mom pumps my insulin but no one else can touch it and one time Braylen touched it but nothing happened so it was ok. I feel good about my Diabetes but I wasn’t very good about it back when I picked my pump color because I wanted red or pink, not green. I don’t like brown. I like rainbow. I don’t like black. I only like red, pink and purple. And hot pink. But they don’t have those colors. If I knew other kids with Diabetes, I wouldn’t say anything to them about it because I wouldn’t want to hurt their feelings. And if they had a pump, I wouldn’t push any of the buttons, either."

What I, Ruby's Mom, have to say about Type 1 Diabetes:
-it's the pits--the big, stinky, hairy kind but with all things that are big, stinky and hairy, it has made us stronger.
-when I meet a child with Type 1, the first thing I want to do is hug them. The second thing I want to do is hug their mother.
-There is a huge difference between Type 1 and Type 2. Type 2, you can help prevent by eating right and exercising. With Type 1, the Great Wall of China couldn't prevent it. Also Type 1 requires shots. Lots of them, daily. Type 2, you can take a pill. Big difference.
-I've mentioned this before, but let me re-iterate: If you meet someone who's child has Type 1, do not proceed to tell them about how your uncle/cousin/half-brother/etc. who has Type 1 just had his foot amputated/kidney transplant/went blind, etc. Just don't.
-Also, if your cat has Diabetes, don't launch into a pity party and try to compare your situation with my kid's. Because:
a) I hate cats and you will receive not an ounce of sympathy from me.
b) YOUR CAT IS NOT YOUR CHILD. Your cat is your cat. Did you carry your cat in your womb for 9 months? Did your cat make you gain 50 pounds? Did you wake up three times each night to nurse your cat for the first 6 months of its life? Did you sit by your cat's hospital bed and have to try to explain to her why she has Diabetes? Did you have to tell your cat at birthday parties that she can't have any birthday cake but you brought a nice cold string cheese for her to chew on while the rest of the kitties happily dig into their cake and ice cream? Do I really need to keep going?
c) Please refer to letter a.
-The thing about Type 1 that really kills me is this: it never goes away. It's always there. Ruby never gets a break from it. I never get a break from it. I've heard that teenage boys think of sex every 7 seconds. That's me, but with Diabetes.
-We're coming up on Ruby's 2 year diagnosis anniversary and I think, just in the last little while, that I've finally completed the 5 stages of coping...for the 10th time.
-We need to help our children, especially our girls, have a healthy body image, which is hard to do when we, as adults, struggle with it as well. This is particularly important to me, as I have girls and one of them is diabetic. A study in 2005 showed that 25% of all girls with Type 1 Diabetes develop eating disorders. This freaks me out.
-Yes, my other kids have a higher chance of developing Diabetes as well. Sometimes I look at May and wonder if there's a ticking time bomb in there somewhere.
-I just want to thank all of our friends and our families. Thank you for your support, concern and love that you have shown to Ruby. Thank you to my Las Vegas family, who came to see her in the hospital and brought her fun things to play with and didn't make her feel like a freak. Thank you to friends everywhere who sent emails of encouragement and phone calls of reassurance. Thank you to our friends here in PA who think of Ruby's condition when planning a function; you have no idea how much I appreciate the inconvenience, the hassle, but especially the thought. The more children (and adults!) who know about Diabetes, the more accepted it will make Ruby and other children with Type 1 feel so thank you for learning about and teaching your children about Type 1 Diabetes.
To learn more about Type 1 Diabetes, check out these sites:
American Diabetes Association - Type 1
JDRF - Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation International
Six Until Me Blog
34 comments:
Annie, I totally love you. Consider my voice raised!
I don't have much to say about diabetes because everything I know I pretty much learned from you. You've been a great example of caring for Ruby, it's a terrible thing for a child to have to deal with when you wish they could just be a kid.
But, here's what I have to say about Ruby: Rubs, you are a beautiful little lady inside and out. You are curious, lovely, always willing to give a smile, and so very smart. I love how you make everything an adventure and you are voracious about finding out everything you can about life and people. I am positive you will grow up to do something amazing. We all love you!:)
Thanks so much for all the information you post about Ruby's Type 1. I have heard of Type 1 and 2, but I never knew the differance. Now I do and I'm so glad I've been educated even just a little.
This does not compare, but Todd is highly allergic to animals. Everywhere I go I have to keep my eye out and I'm constantly asking parents if they have animails in their home. He knows his eyes will swell, get hives and his lungs will get tight resulting in lots of breathing treetments if he touches them, but he loves them and sometimes tries to pet them anyways. I'm always on my guard.
You are such a great mom! Ruby is a tough cookie! You, brandon, Ruby and May are my heros!
you're doing a great job. keep hanging on.
I don't even know what to say, except I am inspired by all the effort you put into helping Ruby have a healthy attitude about her disease and her body. I am also inspired by Ruby who can pass up cake for string cheese and also says, she know she won't have diabetes when she dies. What perspective for a 5 year old! We love you, I hate that you have to deal with this, and hang in there =0).
I got a little choked up reading what Ruby had to say about her diabetes. I want to raise my voice to the makers of the insulin pump and ask them why on earth they can't make it in hot pink. If that's what she wants, I think she should at least be allowed that. You are both very, very brave. Ruby is so lucky to have such a caring mommy.
I did know that tomorrow was awareness day. (I saw a pitch for it on one of the morning shows.) And I thought of beautiful Ruby!
That kid is tough. You'd never know she had it.
And I won't try and feed her candy at Hershey park this year. Although you have her trained well. She told me she couldn't have it before her mom with eyes in the back of her head told me the same thing without even turning around.
Love you guys
Much, much, so much love to Ruby. Just as much to her mommy.
P.S. I gave birth to my cat-Penelope
P.P.S. Please let me know if you don't get my P.S. as you are missing out on a very very funny SNL character.
We all appreciate the information regarding type 1 vs 2. Important to know. One must deal with these things with humor and love and you get that from your biological grandfather, Gordon, that would be your daddy's dad!!! And you know what a goof your dad is. You are doing the best job you can to keep her healthy and safe and she couldn't be in a better family for that to happen. We are all proud to help raise awareness and our VOICES ARE LOUD AND CLEAR!!!!!!
You are inspiring and handling things WAY better than you probably think. I am sure I would still be stuck on coping skill #1. Ruby is incredible and her wisdom is far beyond her years. Thank you for the information. The Lord must trust both you and Ruby so much.
Ruby's letter is so sweet! You could start a whole campaign on awareness with her letter! And you would be the perfect stage mom!
http://www.animascorp.com/Animas-2020-colors.aspx
It seems there are about 50 million kinds of pumps and I have no idea which kind she needs, but these guys just went pink.:)
This was one of your very best posts (or should I say you and Ruby's post). So honest and scary and positive all at the same time.
I think about Ruby all the time in random situations, like Easter Egg hunts and at restaurants, and wonder what it would be like and how hard it must be. Now I know a little bit.
You are doing amazing.
For every bit of bad luck it is that Ruby has diabetes, she has lucked out with you as her mother.
Amen. To the post and to the comments.
I am informed, I am touched, I am in awe. What a brave little girl and what a brave mom you are. There is nothing more heartbreaking than when a child suffers. May the pink pump find it's way into Ruby's hands one day. If a girl has to have a pump, it should at least be pink.
Ruby we love you sweetie!! You are a very smart,beautiful little lady. And very opinated for your age:) We love that!!
I love you guys. I also wish I kept a box of tissues by my keyboard.
AMEN!! I loved reading this!! It is so true, I love knowing someone has the same concerns and worries as me. You are awesome, I love your great attitude. I wish I could meet little Ruby, I want to give her a huge hug. What a trooper.
I hope you don't get tired of hearing it - but I'm just so amazed at how well you, Ruby, and the rest of your family cope with this disease. You are a superstar Mom to a superstar family. My tiny brush with Gestational diabetes put me over the edge, and I can't fathom dealing with it every day, forever. So another tip of the hat to you - my voice is raised!!!
Aw, you made me cry. I'm sending two big hugs through cyberspace right now!! Go Ruby!! Go Annie!! As Queen says, "We (meaning You and Ruby) are the champions my friends".
i love you guys too! crazy it's only been two years..i'll be thinking bout you and ruby today and raising my voice here and there as well! :)
shoving all the love in my little heart into my USB port and emailing it as an attachment. you are one stupendous mommy, and i know you and ruby will continue to pull through, much like squints in his near drowning experience with wendy peffercorn, except without scandalous kiss stealing.
Ann Catherine, you are a big grown up girl dealing with big grown up crap....and you are doing it with grace and fierceness at the same time. I think you are uberamazing. MY VOICE IS RAISED. And if someone doesn't start making those pumps in pink with rhinestones I'm going to start rattling some cages.
It's amazing to me how a girl can go from someone who doesn't have any ham to a strong woman who can deal with a heck of a trial with a sense of humor. I love you Annie and am grateful for your example as a mother. I can see where Ruby inherites her strength!! Thanks for this post and for keeping us informed about diabetes.
I can't even imagine dealing with all that you and Ruby and family deal with everyday from type 1 diabetes. You are a strong women and Ruby is amazing! What a great post!
annie - i'm sure it's all second nature to you by now - are you really thinking about it every 7 seconds???
A hug and a kiss to you both!...
is the kiss a little too much? I just love ya and admire you both.
Annie you are awesome! Ruby is so so lucky to have you as a MOM!
I'm excited for so many things Heaven doesn't have too Ruby! I wish you knew what a brave, cute role model you and your mom are!
Wow. You and Ruby are amazing. That was really moving. Thank you for that post.
Annie and Ruby, You are two very amazing girls! You are inspiring to me because of your courage to handle the challenge of diabetes with such honesty and awareness and love. Thanks for keeping us all informed and motivated to be better people. Love you both!
I'm sorry you have had to go through with this. What Ruby said is just so sweet. My niece has it too and I know from my sister what a struggle she faces and how many shots it takes and getting up in the middle of the night to check her. I'm sorry and want you to know you are an amazing mother.
Annie. I just spent the last 1/2 hour at "work" geting caught up on your blog. This was a great post. I hear the diagnosis "Diabetes" thrown around everyday at the nursing home because I guess every old person has it. But I never acknowledged or understood the difference between Type 1 and Type 2, and how difficult this disease must be especially for a child.
And to that part about comparing cats to kids - word. I drove by a billboard the other day that said "Animals are children too. Don't abandon them." Animals are children? That's like saying "Monkies are birds too." No they're not. Monkies are monkies. How come I have to change Axel's diaper, but T-bone doesn't even wear a diaper?
Post a Comment