This weekend I got a little taste of what it must be like to be a Star Wars fanatic or a Trekkie or some other type of nerd/fanatic, watching a movie and picking it apart to find secrets and hidden references. Growing up, I was a totally Beatles fanatic. I read books upon books, owned every album they made, knew every back story and factoid, drew yellow submarines, etc. all over my notebooks, watched their movies and other documentaries about the legendary band, and was completely torn between Paul and John. Paul's looks or John's wit? Paul's charm or John's genius? It was all consuming.
My Mom is in town right now and we jumped at the chance to go and see Across the Universe while she babysat. From all the years I spent educating myself on the band and becoming familiar with every nuance in every song, I was a little worried going in that this movie would disappoint. It didn't. The music was awesome--they in no way compromised the integrity of the songs, in fact, they magnified their genius. It was weird and artsy just like I like my movies. And of course, it was the subtle references to John, Paul, George, Ringo and their music that only a true Beatles fan would be able to recognize and appreciate that I really got excited about. I was a totally entranced, giddy Beatles Nerd pointing out and whispering things like "There's another number nine!" And I can't complain about the casting of the main character Jude, who has an amazing voice, but also looks like my dear Paul. It was an exhilarating 2 hours and 11 minutes.
5 comments:
I want to see this!
Not that I will get all of the subtle hints... But I LOVE THE BEETLES and think this film looks GREAT!
I wanna go too - but Aaron is a Beatles snob and he thinks he'll get pissed off the whole time. My only worry is that curly haired chick who sounds like Anastasia/Taylor Dane..... is she better than that?
I think I have to go see Elizabeth II by myself too!
Awesome. Glad it's good, I have been so excited for this movie to come out!
Would I like this movie if I am just a lowly fan, and not a crazed/obsessed one????
If you enjoy their music, you'll like it, I think.
Post a Comment