Monday, May 21, 2007

Tomorrow!


Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner effected me like no other book has. It is my favorite, favorite novel. It is extremely well written, the characters are so alive and the story haunts you for weeks after you read it. I cannot say enough about this book and have recommended it over and over. Those who have taken my advice ("Read this book, it will change your life.") have loved it as well. Just read it. You will not be sorry. When my friend Julie told me about it, I was like "A book that takes place in Afghanistan? Um, no thanks." But I read it anyway and I'm so glad I did. About a year after I finished it, Khaled Hosseini came to the University of Iowa and spoke; it was fascinating. What an interesting man. I have been anxiously awaiting the arrival of his next novel and it comes out tomorrow. I'm expecting my pre-ordered copy any day now. Thank goodness for good writers like Khaled Hosseini. Can you imagine a life without good books? I don't even want to think about it.

11 comments:

Kristen said...

Aaron and I were just talking about that book yesterday when we saw the ad in the Target flyer. I also loved "The Kite Runner" and you're right about how it haunts you for weeks. We both loved it. Right up there with my fav "Time Travelor's Wife". Still the only book in my life I have started reading again the minute I finished it.

Kasey said...

Thanks for referring a good book! I just ordered some on Amazon. I will have to add this one to my list. I LOVE to read and I'm always looking for good books. If you say it's good I believe ya! Thanks!

[alisar] said...

Awesome. I'll put it on my must read list.

bethany said...

What was the name of that book you recommended this weekend? I have been trying to remember it and just can't.

Annie said...

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. He also wrote Everything Is Illuminated, which was made into a movie but of course not as good as the book.

Jessie Riley said...

Kite runner is on my list. Thanks to Aliring... and another friend! I just have to get through the book I'm reading now. (due back at the library soon... I've never been much of a reader... I guess it's because I havn't had many good books to read!) Tell me other books to read. I'm starting a MUST READ list. (good idea Aliring)

Leilana Warren said...

I have wanted to read that. I will have to put it on my summer hit list. I have also heard amazing things about The Red Tent by Anita Diamant, that I also plan on getting to this summer. :)

Anonymous said...

I think my mom has this book, I will have to borrow it. I love reading as well.. I tend to move too quickly through books and I am always looking for new ones to read. Keep up the recommendations. I am almost finished with my current book, A Tree Grows In Brooklyn.

[AnnieR] said...

The Time Traveler's Wife, The Red Tent and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn are all wonderful. Good picks, girls.

Chereebee said...

Annie-
So I'm not much of a reader but you've gotten me quite interested in this book... I just may have to bust it out!

Julie said...

I had heard that Khaled Hosseini had a new book coming out, but never did anything about it. So, I just put it on hold at the library, and I am #118!!! Yikes! Thanks for the reminder, Annie, or I probably would have been even farther down the list. Can't wait to hear how you like it!