Sunday, May 06, 2007

Navy blue


I have a problem with speeding...pretty much every where I go, all the time. I'm good about looking out for cops, slamming on my brakes when I see one and nonchalantly scratching the side of my face or doing something really normal, like "Here I am, just driving along, minding my own business scratching my face, don't mind me." It's worked time and time again.
Friday we were late to go meet some friends/their kids at Hershey Park. I was driving down this back country foresty road where the speed limit was 25. So I was going about 50. This cop was hidden behind some trees, I saw him, slammed on my brakes, scratched my face. Nope. On came the lights and even his siren. Immediately, I said "Hey Ruby. We're going to stop and talk to a police man. I wonder what his favorite color is." Her eyes lit up at the possibilities.
Me: Hi.
Cop: License, registration and proof of insurance please.
Me: Ok.
Cop: That grin on your face tells me you know you were going too fast.
Me: Yah.
Cop: Were you talking on your cell phone, ma'am?
(Ma'am? Have I crossed that line into "ma'am"-hood? Just kill me now.)
Me: No, just scratching my face.
Cop: Any idea how fast your were going?
Me: No, sorry.
Ruby: Hey! What's your favorite color?
He let us go with a warning.

10 comments:

Kasey said...

The last time I got pulled over I was hoping he'd give me a warning. I was 6 months pregnant and driving a mini-van with a toddler in the back seat. Next time (hopefully not though) I'll have to remember to have Todd say something cute! Ruby sure is something else! She says the funniest things. My favorite was when she said, even when people are ugly we should still love them.

KatieB said...

way to go ruby! i'm a speeder too and amazingly have never been pulled over. i'll have to start coaching rylee now just in case.

Julie said...

Go Ruby! You are a brilliant mom :)

josieposie said...

I tried the fake diabetic emergency once. I had to convince him that it would all be fine if I could just get home...he wanted to call an ambulance.

Jessie Riley said...

YOU ARE A GENIUS!

Betsy said...

I think Ruby is the funniest little thing ever. She's a keeper.

Shannon said...

Way to go Annie and Ruby. It's not easy getting away with a warning. I'll have to try that technique sometime.

Gooches said...

i am still laughing!

[alisar] said...

Perhaps I should put the kids to work on the officers when I get pulled over. My charm has certainly faded and I don't get off with warnings anymore. Good tip!

Emily said...

Good thinking. Ruby cracks me up!