Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Fuzzy Memories


I found a little book today that I had completey forgotten about. During one of my favorite summers growing up, I was probably 16 or so, I went to EFY with a handfull of friends. One afternoon, for about 2 hours in the lobby of the UCSB book store, my friends and I sat around reading from the book. I distinctly remember howling with laughter, so hard that tears were streaming down my face and by the end, my stomach was so sore, I could hardly stand up to leave. A lot has changed since that summer. My friend who was the reader of the book, has since passed away. It was because of him that we laughed so hard for so long. He put just the right emphasis on just the right words. I think of him often. Here is my all time favorite "Fuzzy Memory:"

"I'll take that one, way in the back," I said.
"That little collie mix?" said the animal shelter guy.
"No," I said, "the one behind him."
"The gray terrier?" he said.
"He's gray," I said, "but way in the back, in the corner."
"You mean the water faucet?" he said. I realized then it WAS a water faucet, but I didn't want to look like a jerk, so I said "Yeah, that's the one I want."
It ended up costing me almost five hundred dollars to get that faucet removed. But you know, I've still got that faucet, and I wouldn't trade it for any dog in the world.

2 comments:

[alisar] said...

Just what the doctor ordered. Thanks for the hysterics!

EJ said...

I think about that day too! I don't know if I've ever laughed so hard in my life! I don't think there's a better way to remember someone than in a moment like that.