
It is paragraphs like these that make me so glad I bought it. Whether you are an artist or not, I find this exerpt extremely applicable. And the wording is so typical from a "self help" type book, it makes me smile...but kind of cringe at the same time.
"What really distinguishes the productive artist from the would-be artist? The former looks at the blank ceiling of the Sistine Chapel and says, "Hm, I wonder what should go there?" The other says "My God, no way I'm touching that!"
Most people are in the second category. They see difficulty where the creative person sees opportunity. If you find yourself in that second category, what should you do? First, become aware of that secret muffled message. Second, when you hear it, try to change it. In cognitive therapy this techinique is called "thought substitution." You could try replacing "This is too hard" with one of the following messages:
"This will be easy"
"This will be hard but not THAT hard"
"This will be VERY hard, but I'm game"
Each of these affirmations has its merits, and it doesn't matter which one you choose. What's important is that you dispel the idea that creating is too hard, that it's somehow beyond your capabilities. In this period of exploration, it would be good if you got aquainted with using all three of these affirmations. Let's practice doing that."
Ok, I know. It's incredibly cheesy. Even so, I think there's a lot to be said for not letting your fears stand in the way of what you want to do. Take this family for instance:

6 comments:
Kinda like my Tri training...tho not with cool hair....
Where do you find these pictures? I think the theme of our blogs lately has been weird hair.
Those are actually my cousins! It was their Christmas picture last year.
Ok, I'm lying but oh how I wish those were my cousins.
Wow. That picture is freaking awesome! Now I will have something I can giggle about all day!
Seriously, where DO you find those pics??? Awesome. The mantra I'm trying to make part of my psyche is "I can do hard things." Like quit reading blogs and go outside and whip the yard into shape :)
With a picture like that, I have a hard time remembering what words came before it....All I can do is laugh..and laugh. I was really hoping the child in that picture was you!
Post a Comment