Thursday, October 27, 2011

You Know You Have a Newborn When:

-your life is suddenly divided into 2 hour increments

-you take showers at extremely odd times of the day...and/or night

-you take these showers, not only to cleanse yourself but it's a comfy place to have a good cry

-you feel you're making great strides when doing every day tasks such as making a sandwich or loading dishes in the dishwasher

-you can fall asleep sitting up

-your 2 1/2 year old suddenly looks HUGE

-especially that 2 1/2 year old's bottom when you change her diapers, after getting so used to changing teeny diapers on a teeny bottom

-you welcome painful uterine contractions, gritting your teeth and silently urging your gigantic, empty uterus to get back to its proper place and size

-you lament when you discover your last pair of mesh hospital-issue underwear, clutch its meshy, softy goodness to your chest and vow to use it wisely

12 comments:

Veronica Reeve said...

Oh Annie, I love this post.

I can put a check by each of those points. The giant 2 yr old bum - check. The mesh undies (sniff, sniff, wipe tear) - check, the sleeping sitting up - mastered. The baths (sometimes several a day) - check check.

Welcome to life post partum. Why, oh why do I forget how horrible this part is? Oh, I know: If we remembered we would only have one child. Hang in there, it sloooooowly has been getting better.

Also, I've been meaning to tell you how beautiful your sweet new Juniper Betty is. That white hair - oh my! I didn't know babies could have that light of hair. Those chubby cheeks! All her weight looks like they are in those cute chubby cheeks! She is perfection.

Maybe Jack and Juniper will meet up one day (U of I perhaps?) Their names do sound pretty cute together...

Corals said...

I can so relate. Especially to the huge-toddler-bottom thing. Changing Annie's diaper was suddenly RIDICULOUS, and I literally felt like I was changing an adult's diaper.

You made a beautiful baby! It's worth it :)

Holly said...

Our Olive was only 16 months when Clara was born (oops!) but once we changed her diaper, she effortlessly earned her nickname, "Big Baby."

kassidi bridge said...

so true, so true. i don't have a newborn, and the shower is still my choice of getting a good cry out.

Annie Leavitt said...

it makes me feel better i'm not the only one who loves those hospital undies : )

congrats on the new addition!

Meagan said...

Amen. Good thing they are worth it.

Danielle O. said...

Oh man, post partum is rough. You are so good to cry in the shower though. I just let it all out and scare off the older kid and neighbors.
As you know soon enough you will feel human again!
Also, I might still have a pair of those undies. I also cherished those lovelies and refused to use up my last pair! If I come across them I will deliver the goods!

One more also...I am loving the bright white and beautiful haired one. She is such a dream. When family leaves I am always around if you need anything. I will give you your space though I know that is all I ever want after a baby.

LINSY said...

the hospital underwear comment is killing me. halarious!!! you are killing me. and its o-so-true. right on the money.

Alisha said...

Juniper Betty is such a perfect name. I LOVE the name June, and I've tried and tried to name a girl Betty, and so far Paul's said no. Good choice of names. I wish I could squeeze her, and rub her cheek to my cheek. I might even change an Olive BM for you. That's how deep my love is.

Ali said...

Love it! Our little man spent a week in the NICU, so this week has been like our first week home.
My husband & I are both marveling at the size of our 2.5 year old! How did she stop being a baby overnight?
I found some witchhazel pads yesterday and lamented not finding them last week.

gojensens said...

All so true! About the mesh underwear... maybe this is all to personal, but try depends, they work wonders especially at night. Good luck with everything.

Heather said...

Congratulations, G! She is beautiful.