Towards the end of the week, we were lucky enough to be able to go to Bethany Beach, Delaware and stay at a lovely friend's lovely beach house on Fenwick Island. It was awesome. Neither Go nor I had never been to Delaware before, nor did we ever think we would. If you're two kids from the west, vacationing in Delaware is a pretty random and unheard of thing to do, but if you're from the East, it's like "Oh yah. Delaware has great beaches." Huh? I had no idea. (Does anyone else remember that scene from Wayne's World where they're going through all these states, saying little things about each one and they get to Delaware and they're like totally bored and say "Delaware...I'm in...Delaware." So my assumption that Delaware was whack was based off of that.) But Delaware is actually pretty cool. It's very flat and marshy and has a weird back country, beachy, quasi-retro vibe. And Bethany Beach was super fun. You know what else has a weird vibe and when I say weird vibe, I mean something derogatory towards muscle car enthusiasts? Muscle car enthusiast conventions, which was going on while we were there in Ocean City, Maryland, which is just down the road (like, LITERALLY DOWN THE ROAD (the east coast is so weird that way) from Bethany Beach.) Go almost got us into a million car accidents from the constant rubber necking he was doing at all the "sweet" cars driving by while I nodded my head and smiled, like "Yes, that orange car with the thingee on the back and the what-its on the sides is simply amazing. NOW KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE ROAD, YOU SILLY MAN!" Conversely, while at the beach, I couldn't stop facing the ocean, then facing the land, facing the ocean, then facing the land, constantly commenting to Go about how weird it was to have the sun set BEHIND me while facing the ocean instead of ON the ocean since we were on the opposite coast and he would nod his head and smile, like "Yah, ok, whatever you say. It's so weird, so weird. NOW KEEP YOUR EYES ON YOUR CHILD WHO'S ABOUT TO INGEST A DEAD SEAGULL, YOU SILLY WOMAN!" I always forget he's a desert rat and he always forgets I don't give a rat's about cars. *exasperated sigh*
We had a great time and I was excited to be able check another thing of my "Must Do's Before We Leave the East Coast For Good, Never to Return, Except to New York City Once We Have the Money to Really Do it Up Right Instead of Slumming It Every Year Because Dang That Place is Pricey" list.
And with that, I give you Bethany Beach Part One or in other words, Half of the Pictures I Decided to Post Because Posting All 48 in One Post Is Over Kill, Thus I Shall Divide Them into Two Posts and Two Still Large Groupings of Photographs so Not to Totally Bore Anyone Viewing These Except For My Mother, Who Never Bores of Pictures of My Children.
Please note Olive's constant shriek in the majority of these pictures.
Girlfriend LOVES the beach.
And because she was even more animated than usual
(which one wouldn't think she could get much more animated)
she is the star of this particular photo grouping.
Note to older versions of Ruby and May reading this years from now:
I love all my children equally.
Your bizarre little sister just stole the show this particular day.
May, who will break into dance without warning, is feeling the groove.
More shrieking by Olive.
Some wildly intense concentration going on here.
Some wildly intense shrieking.
She thought the waves were going to come all the way up, but then they didn't.
The nerve.
More with the shrieking.
Uh huh.
Ruby and the cutest swim suit in the world.
Olive, always with lots of facial expressions and lots of hand gestures.
She is explaining something of great importance here.
Just as May breaks into dance, Olive breaks into song. And always an extremely loud song
with random lyrics that don't make sense.
Take last week at the grocery store, I got to have
"YOU HAVE A SHOW! YOU HAVE A SHOW! YOU HAVE A SHOW!"
happily shouted repeatedly in my face while I shopped.
This here went something like this:
"NAH NAH NAH NAH (a la Michael Jackson's PYT) NAH NAH NAH NAH!"
with a very random chorus of "DIG IT OUT! DIG IT OUT! DIG IT OUT!"
all whilst drumming on her "drum."
And now for a Neil Pert-like drum solo.
The end.
(of part one.)

























5 comments:
beautiful photos, gorgeous little ladies! i must agree on the "cutest swimsuit in the world" hazel has the same one.
This was a delightful post. Love the photos and your writing.
So many things to love...but so sad when it was over. Don't know what I'll do when part 2 is over, resee part 1, I guess.
Loved all of it - the hat, the face, the hands, the dance, the swimsuit (which I was totally going to comment on anyway), the other swim suit, the daddy reading at the beach (I hope he wasn't studying - just reading for pure pleasure), the sweet faces, the lily white bodies, no evidence of sunburns, the drumming (hysterical), the songs (though I'd love to hear them as well, the fact that in mid day facing the waves,it looks just like the true ocean (you know which one I mean), the fence lining the beach, the fact that it looked like you were the only ones at the beach until you faced the fence...do you get my point? So many things to love.
Sigh.
I loooove May's swim suit. It takes me back to the 1990's which were the best years to go to the beach. per-i-od! Great pics anniekins.
This post made me laugh about five times. Out loud, with each laugh getting a little louder, until Paul asked, Is Annie's blog that funny? Yes it is. Olive is a friend to make you happy. A little friend on your hip to make you happy.
Post a Comment