One day while at Costco with her family, while her sisters were over in the electronics department with their Dad, following him around while he dreamed and drooled over gigantic televisions and fandangled blue-ray players, Olive stayed with her Mom at the check out line, waiting to spend way more money than they wanted to, like every other Costco trip before.
Suddenly Olive felt very tired. She decided to growl a happy little tune, something that sounded like a wolverine attacking a kitten. She smiled and growled and kicked her chubby legs. Her Mom squished her legs and kissed her cheeks and tickled her neck and zurberted her belly. She growled back happily in reply, sounding like a cougar birthing a billy goat--the real animal kind of cougar. Not the older lady who preys on younger men-cougar. We all know that the billy goat-birthing ship has sailed for those types of cougars. Upon hearing this extremely loud and strange sound, a Costco employee, who had yet to behold the butteryness of Olive and her cheery demeanor began ringing up their odd assortment of purchases (horseradish cheese, toilet paper, and a case of Izze fruit drinks) said "Well, someone's not happy." Olive's mother, who stupidly couldn't stand the thought of a stranger thinking of her beloved baby as a stinker, pointlessly replied with "She's just tired. She's still happy, though." The Costco employee, who should have just said "Oh", said "That doesn't sound very happy to me." Olive's mother, who had a tendency to get snippy when hungry and when spending money, rebuttaled. "No, really. She's still smiling. She just growls really violently and really loudly when it's time to take a nap." Olive's mother, who also had a tendency to give more information than people needed or cared to know, continued. "Yah, one of my other girls used to do this too when they were tired but never this loud. I can't remember which one used to do it..." The Costco employee, who apparently had a long day said "You're telling me that baby is happy?" Olive's mother, challenged, put on her game face, which was the same face she made when thinking about marzipan. Olive's mother did not like marzipan. "Take a look at her!" Olive's mother said, gesturing to Olive, who was still growling and squawking away like a cat in heat mixed with a bison who stubbed its hoof. "See? She's happy." "Well, that's the maddest sounding happy baby I've ever seen. I just don't get it," replied the Costco employee and shook her head like it was the craziest thing she had ever heard. And even though Olive's horrible mother wanted to part ways with a snarky and uncalled-for "Maybe that's why you work at Costco, genius," she didn't. She just punched in her code for her debit card and kissed half of her husband's pay check good-bye on a thirty pack of Charmin Ultra Soft.
THE END.
Sent from my iPhone
15 comments:
hahaha..this story was truly better than all the samples i've EVER consumed at costco combined! thank you for that.
you should put up a video clip of olive's happy growl sometimes so we can hear it :).
make her do it at church please.
Hmmm, explaining animal noises to people in public places? Sounds like a regular day for me with Luke. He and Olive speak the same language.
That was stinking hilarious! It makes me want to squish that cute Olive and nibble her toes.
Did you really type this all on your iphone? With your thumbs?
Great story. Really good writing. Now get it on video!
Yes, Lucy. I did. Proof: That I hadn't realized I accidentally typed "store" instead of "story" until just now. I have big thumbs.
Oh, and Tamara: Olive growled like a werewolf during the closing prayer in RS today just for you.
Perhaps I'm overly sensitive to current economic employment issues...but I think it's pretty stellar when a person has a job of any sorts these days and frankly word on the street is that Costco's pay scale is good with great benefits which is sort of a genius gig to snag right about now.
But back to that precious bobcat Olive...I would love to have been there, cajoling her.
I know Mom. I'm right there with you actually. That's just what went through my head at the time. When I was hungry. And annoyed. And feeling like this chick was all up in my grill about my kid. More power to her for whatever type of job she has. That really wasn't supposed to be a punchline, but I guess it ended up being one. When you blog, you're just asking to offend all sorts of people when you don't mean to. Comes with the territory.
I missed it!!!!
Are you sure it was Costco and not Walmart?
hahaha I would love to see and hear this!
i want to see the video too! i love baby noises. and altho costco does pay well, i'm guessing they don't teach manners :P at least your olive doesn't scream when she needs a nap like mine! altho no explanation is needed, it's quite a show.
Sounds like a Walmart encounter I once had.
Post a Comment