Thursday, June 04, 2009

Lately

Our wedding anniversary is coming up--eight years. Most of the time, it seems to me that Go and I have been married a really long time. That wasn't meant as a hee-hee-hee-playful-yet-loving-jab-in-the-ribs; we've been through a lot during the past 8 years, so it seems like even longer than that to me most of the time.

Tonight though, I was lying on our bed with the girls, getting ready for our nightly prayer/hug ritual. We were waiting for Go and I found myself mentally putting "eight years" into different references, like "That's the length of high school and college combined!" and "That's the length between ages 11 and 19!" It was just weird, as I lay on the bed surrounded by my girls and thought about all that had happened and what had been produced in that length of time. Suddenly, it seemed like just yesterday I was standing there at my wedding reception, very young and stoked to realize that I had just married a guy who had longer hair than I did. I couldn't have been happier and neither could he.

So it's been eight years and we're still in sync, even when we don't mean to be. Today it was discovered that we had inadvertently been working toward the same goal: to be happy whatever we're doing, wherever we are.

His goal stemmed from a work/home standpoint. When he's at work, he should focus on enjoying the process of cutting people open and sewing them back together in an aesthetically pleasing fashion rather than focusing on how long he's been there, how tired he is and how many days its been since he's seen his girls. And when he's home, he needs to let go of the stresses of work and bask in the golden glory of the Reynolds women.

I, on the other hand, have been trying to live in the moment and enjoy each day, despite the issues I have with my current location. I need to quit the ever-going internal "I Don't Belong on the East Coast" pity party and realize it's not where I am, but what I am that matters. For me, this stems from the knowledge that Olive could be my second-to-last baby. That sentence sounds ridiculous, but really, just thinking about it makes me verklempt. I love my babies--I love all babies, period and I don't want it to end. If I could hold babies for the rest of my life, I'd be in heaven. I remember confessing to my room mate back in college, Katie, that I didn't really want to get married, I just wanted a baby. This was before I met Go. Oooobvsiously. Katie laughed, probably thought I was kidding, perhaps an attempted slam against the male race, which wasn't something out of the ordinary, but I really wasn't joking; I was completely serious. I wondered how many girls were there at BYU wanting a baby more than a husband, like I was. I wondered if they had the same sudden urge, when they were just walking around campus maneuvering through the sea of smiling faces, trying not to take anyone out with their giant art portfolio and of course not cutting corners, when out of the clear blue Utah sky, SLAM! they wanted, no, NEEDED to hold a baby, any baby. Right then. Did they NEED to shmush chubby smooth skin, kiss a soft velvety cheek and run their hands over a crop of fluffy hair? Did they NEED a tiny but strong grasp around their finger and to be looked at with clear, bright eyes? My whole body would just ache to hold a baby, but there I was, shlepping around Provo, totally babyless, much to my Bishop and my parent's delight/relief.

This feeling actually first began with a chimpanzee when I was probably 10 or so. My brothers and I were watching some show and the guy carried around a monkey in a diaper. It was like lightening had struck. I HAD to hold a chimpanzee. I physically yearned to carry around a diapered monkey. I remember professing this to John and Joe and they were both like "Yah! How cool would it be to just walk around holding a monkey?" I like my brothers. They get me.

So that's what I'm doing--realizing that what I'm doing right now, every day, is exactly what I wanted my whole life. It doesn't matter that it's not where I want to be, but it matters what I'm doing and who I am. Even though I still have never held a monkey wearing a diaper, I'm a mother of three ridiculously fun girls and I married a guy who used to have longer hair than me and I love it. This is the life I wanted all along.

Summer is approaching and I have loads of things planned. This summer, I want to teach my girls how to make the most of each day and bask in the glory that is right now and enjoy being who we are right now. This is their childhood. These are the years our family will look back on and long to have back. So right now, I think I'm going to go kiss Go and tell him that these past 8 years have been rad and I love who we are right now.

16 comments:

Dave and Tricia Folsom Family Fun said...

Thanks Annie - I needed that! And congrats on 8 years! And I agree - you have 3 beautiful, silly, fun little girls!

Kasey said...

I love this post! Thanks for that! Happy Anni on Tuesday. It's a great day...just ask my mom and my sister! What was I thinking not getting married on June 9th?!?!

Ashlie n Jonathan said...

Thanks so much for your post. I needed that more than I realized. And Happy Happy Anniversary! Although some of the road has been super tough, more than I can imagine, Congratulations on all your dreams that came true, and all the ones that are waiting for you!

A random memory: I remember helping place the (was it) gardenias in the bowls at your reception and watching your cake be assembled. Everything was lovely. Happy times. Thanks again for your thoughts/post.

Aby Runyan said...

Yes, yes, and yes.

luvs, aby

Katie said...

amen sister, or sista!

yomama said...

Great post. Came on here looking for a possible Thurs. night posting of a Friday Olive pic, but this was great to read.
And I know that I won't be disappointed tomorrow either.

Hansen Family said...

Very nice writing Annie:) We have been married for 10 years and wow they have been trying but amazing!! Congrats on the 8 and the next three years will go by quick:) You hope:)

Unknown said...

Thanks, I needed that!

Wendy said...

Tess just told me that she's rocking back and forth, pretending to hold a baby. Looks like this does start early.

Quite possibly the sweetest thing I've read in a long time. Love the reminder of how lucky we really are.

Kristen said...

Great post - happy anniversary!! We just had our 10 years (from our first date, so basically attached at the hip since then) and it's amazing I've loved him 1/3 of my life and known him for half of it! Time is a powerful and precious thing.

Wow, living in the moment is so hard. One of my fav authors said something that has stuck with me forever - and I paraphrase, "It's not the rushing around getting ready to get outside and play in the snow, quickly putting on snowpants, mittens, hats, gloves, taking them off to pee, then putting them back on to get to the good stuff outside. It's the putting on of the snowpants, enjoying that moment and not rushing ahead." Zen of snowpants, right? I think I mutter "snowpants" to myself evertime I'm rushing the kids out the door to get to the 'fun activity' planned instead of enjoying all the stops in between. Good for you for working on this too!

amanda said...

i loved reading this, annie! though, i realized there MAY just be something wrong with me as i've never experienced the whole "MUST HOLD A BABY" phenomenon..oh dear.. :) also, you are all so good-looking in that last post of yours!

Meredith said...

while running with alyson (chris silva's senior prom date) i uttered those same words, "i want a baby, not a husband." then she started talking all about her widowed sister in law and how awful it was to have a screaming baby in the middle of the night and no one else to hold him and the other side of the bed NOT being warm. kill it, alyson, just kill it. but she was right. anyway, you're right too. babies are just heaven. i just want to chew on julia. and i want to chew on olive too.

thanks for the post, sometimes we all need a whack up the head to remember those same things.

Beth said...

I must say that you are one cute cousin and I loved this post. It just made me smile and made my insides feel squishy (in a good way). I am also totally with you on the baby love. Babies are just soooo sweet and yummy. I just love to hold them and love them and kiss on them and smell them and then love them some more. I still treat my almost three year old as a baby more than I should because I know there isn't another one coming after him and I just don't want to let it go. Happy Anniversary and keep on keepin that love alive.

Jill said...

Thanks Annie, I seriously needed that!

KatieB said...

i vividly remember the "just want a baby" comment. babies hadn't occurred to me at that stage in life yet. thank goodness :). but i LOVE holding them now. three year olds? not so much.

the Wangs said...

aww, this was the sweetest post. maybe that's why my baby might be born on your anniversary? happy 8yrs.