Wednesday, May 21, 2008

This Thing Here

Most of this blog is a satire. It is to be taken very tongue-in-cheek with lots of salt. And maybe a little nutmeg, too. Many of the things I write, I am aware that some could take offense, but if you want to know the truth, I write for people that know me well and know that I am kidding. My intent is never to offend, but to entertain. I believe I have only poked fun at things that I myself have taken part in, such as shopping at Wal-Mart, which I do weekly, sometime twice in one week when the universe is really against me; clothes from Target, which is where a hefty bit of my wardrobe is from; the state of Texas, where I actually lived for about 3 years. Those that know me well, know these things and because of that, it's even funnier and definitely satire. Also, I think it's funnier when I don't explain things all the way, like this picture.















Or the picture on my blog header, which was taken yes, on a exhibit at the Getty, but at a children's exhibit where you are encouraged to lay upon, jump on, etc. Yah, so that picture isn't as intriguing now that you know that, is it?

According to my StatCounter, I get over 400 hits a day on this thing, which makes me realize that there's a lot of people out there reading this that do not know me that well or at all, and think they know me just from my blog which is a only small slice, sometimes an untrue slice, of who I really am. Knowing that, I should curb the things I write, but I don't want to and don't feel I need to. Perhaps I should make my blog private as to not offend those who believe I am really at stuck up as I appear to be.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! I understand that your blogs are meant as jocular yarns, not meant to offend the gauche underclass. I do post anonymously because we separated from you guys some years ago. But I don't want my profound insight about Foxnews coasters to be lumped with other malicious anonymous comments or to be outshined by a superfluous drama. I think we all know the blog is in good fun. Keep up the good work! Don't be stressin about the playa hatas.

Anonymous said...

i second the motion about them playa hatas. i randomly stumbled upon your blog and it has been in my "favorites" ever since. your wit and sarcasm are too fun- keep on keepin on!

mystic cher said...

Say NO to censorship!

bethany said...

Let me guess-the sculpture is a representation of how big you feel your butt is?
BTW-I haven't been offended, but then if I was going to be offended, I've had a few years to find something :)

bethany said...

The best part....when I was typing in the word verification so that you can tell I'm not a robot, it had the word "bum" in it-what are the odds?!

Lucy said...

Don't go private unless you feel you must. It's a drab, drab place to be. I miss the public life.

I adore your blog. Truthfully, your funky, stylish, satirical self intimidates me a little bit, because I don't know you or your sense of humor personally and I wonder how someone so gorgeous and talented can be so cool and fun as well. It doesn't seem quite fair. But, you seem to be all that, so roll with it lady. You got it going on!

KatieB said...

i don't think you've offended anybody yet. i would keep it public. you have to much to share. those are offended can go elsewhere.

Annie said...

Hey Katie. Check your email.

Heidi said...

I found your blog through my friend, Kenna Wahlquist, and noticed that your daughter has Diabetes 1. My son, age 9, has it too, and started the pump FINALLY in March. He was diagnosed at age 7. I would love to email you sometimes. Please email me: heidi718@juno.com

Anonymous said...

OH NO!!!! Please don't make your blog private....I am one of the 400 lurkers who enjoy, understand and completly relate to your satire and humor.....If you do go private, please make a way in your heart for another friend from Texas so I can continue getting daily gratification from reading your blog!!!

kassidi bridge said...

Please no no no. I know we've only really met once...but because of the whole related connection, I totally get you. Your blog is one of the only ways I get my full dose of laughter for the day, think about that before you make any irrational decisions!

The Jensen Family said...

Some people just need to relax and take their sensitivity elsewhere! That anonymous lady needs to calm down and find a new hobby besides bringing people down to her level!

Your blog is one of the finest out there and it is a sad day that some people can not understand true humor! How boring their life must be! Keep on blogging!

Leilana Warren said...

I love your blog. And I love your header picture...classic! :)

Aby Runyan said...

Annie,
I e-mailed you, hopefully it went through cause dumb yahoo mail was giving me fits.
Never, never, NEVER feel like you need to explain anything you write my dear. This is YOUR house -that's a little cheesy, but it is.
luvs, aby

Wendy said...

What happened? Have you been getting anonymous comments giving you grief? Obviously you get so many readers because people love your perspective on life. That will be a total shame if you go private. So many people will miss out (with 100 invite max.) Keep your edge. We all like it!

Tracy said...

i think you're hilarious. another thing... I really like that picture in your header. i think it's cute and fun. i've never been to a childrens exhibit at the getty, but it looks fun!

Betsy said...

What I can't understand is why people look at blogs that offend them, and then comment to people they don't even know about how their offended. Stop reading if your don't like it. Just go home people....We don't care what you think.

Betsy said...

By the way... I love the blog, and think you are great. Maybe when I am reincarnated....I'll be as funny as you =0).

[alisar] said...

If you're the type of person who has a "filter" (i.e. you watch what you say around certain people) then there is a fundamental flaw to having a public blog. IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHO'S OUT THERE, THEN YOU CAN'T AVOID OFFENDING THEM.

I consider myself an honest and up-front person, however, I'll admit that I choose my words carefully depending on whom I'm speaking with (or writing to as the case may be).

For example, my parents call us "retards" when we do anything ridiculous. Whenever they do this, we all have a good laugh at ourselves. It is a quirky term of endearment for us, which we use often. However, would I use this word in front of my dear friend whose sister is mentally challenged? Not in a million years!

If it is important to you not to offend people (as I decided it was for me), then you HAVE to know who you're talking to.

Inevitably, we all put our feet in our mouths at one point or another, but it's easier to avoid when you know who's out there.

That's why I went private. I'm not saying you should, I'm just saying that if you stay public, and you keep being your witty and refreshingly sarcastic self, you're probably going to offend some people once in a while.

P.S. I cannot count the ways in which I adore you.

Carolyn said...

With so many people reading your blog, you are doing something right! Actually, I'm waiting for you to finally start making money off your talent and this thing! You deserve some cash for all this entertainment.

elizabeth said...

I know I said this to you already, but a blog is just that. . . a blog. It's not an official decree of anything! It's just an independent expression of things and there are much more serious matters in the world to get steamed about than someone's satire about Wal-mart and Texas! Anyone who thinks they have the moral superiority to rudely (and ignorantly) cast judgments on others BLOGS (it's not like you're committing illegal acts to make your points) needs to take a chill pill. It's just a blog for crying out loud! And a G-rated one at that! Nothing wrong here!

zeeny said...

What...change the blog..nooo! I check it almost daily and think it is one of the funniest blogs I've seen! I don't know you but that doesn't stop me from pretending we're friends (not in a stalker sort of way...well, actually, I don't know...) I love the humor and figure since I grew up in the O.C. and you know some people I know, I kind of know you! I love the humor and think it should keep comming in large doses

Jessie Riley said...

um... we all know you really are just STUCK UP!

I hate stupid people. Maybe you should do a post ALL about the joy's of PEANUT BUTTER.

I love you and I love to GIGGLE OUT LOUD each time I read your blog.

You KILL ME!

Kristen said...

I had to go back a few posts to see what the hubbub was about. What idiots. Who goes on blogs of people they dont' know and leave idiotic comments like that?

It's completely up to you if you wanna go private or not - But if it makes you feel better knowing that some weirdo out there isn't going to read up on your family/ideas/opinions/hilarity and post a dumb comment about it then I say go for it.

And really - I've met a lot of people in my life and you're the least snobbiest I know. However you are one of the most honest and I think some people don't know the difference.

Anonymous said...

Uh...well, I totally get if you go private since you got some haters out there and I totally chime in with those who've already basically said to the haters "It's a blog. One YOU CHOSE to read. Annie didn't come knocking on your door and solicit your views, so if you find it offensive, read elsewhere or write your own - not as a post to someone you aren't even willing to reveal your identity to and then if you did and she didn't know you, isn't going to care because...start at beginning of quotes!"
Now, having said that, I do take exception to say...a blood relative, perhaps one that gave you birth, who you will nudge under the bumper of the bus on occasion. One such as that, that may feel slighted, has every right to at least defend themselves in like lightminded fashion to the same degree and frequency of said nudge.
I know. Not my blog, but since I'm still able, putting my 2 cents out there.
If you do go private, I've got to figure out some way NOT to post as Drew and Tiffany Garlock, which for some weird reason is the only way I'm allowed to comment on any other blogs that screen. Do I LOOK like Drew and Tiffany? I WISH I looked like Tiffany.

MOMMACITA said...

Oh my litte deep lunges. I suspect you messed with texas, but today, my hair is big, and so I'm in the defensive stance. Yesterday I took on Verizon and won, today I took on the lawn service and won. Since I'm already in gear, I'll take on the winers and stupids: those who dare to mess with all things unitard.

'This thing here' is a delight. Whoever can't see that is a goof. with long floppy ears. Do not be intimidated. Do not be backed into a dark corner. Put on your big girl panties, square your shoulders and keep on bringing all of those 400 hits a day a beautiful beautiful blog that is fun, witty, clever and touching. I know a person who had a blog while her husband was dying of melanoma, and some winers, stupds and goofs found a way to be mean in that situation. Some people don't realize that life is too short.

ps. I thought I was responsible for 399 of the hits. (I'm afraid I'll miss something great.)

Pss. If you're having 400 hits a day, I think you could make some dolla bills with advertising.

Katie said...

I love your blog. It always makes me smile.

loubige said...

Please don't go private!! I'm one of those lurkers who loves to visit your blog and since I don't know you I am sure I would not get an official invite! :-)
I found your blog through my brother-in-law's blog (Cort) and it has become a part of my routine blog reading-you are hilarious.