For the past ten years, you've basically been the bane of my existence. You really had me going there for awhile, though. Growing up in Southern California, you seemed to have a certain air of mystique and aloofness about you and what can I say? I was intrigued. But then you showed your true colors up in Provo, Utah, I didn't really like what I saw. You were cold. You were dirty. You were inconsiderate. You made me miserable. I went into hibernation. I stayed in my dorm room, didn't go to class, didn't do too well in school and cut myself off from the world...just to get away from you. Now almost ten years later, as much as I want to rid myself of you, I am forced to continue to live with you in my life. And every winter, you force your way in and the next thing I know, I'm down in the dumps, listening to Fionna Apple while gorging myself on any junk I can get my hands on, like Slim Jims--food under normal circumstances, I find repulsive. And you know what else? You're just a big hassle. You take up all of my time, with the constant shoveling, the scraping, the cleaning. I have better things to do! You have no sense of other people's space and time and you're just selfish and horrible and I hate you. See what you do to me? You get under my skin and make me crazy and mean. Every 6 months, you come around, with your fancy white self and then BOOM. The next thing I know, I'm depressed, I'm an insomniac, I start to hate the world and I'm just not myself. Ok, I just had to get that off my chest. Now onto what I really wanted to say: So when you came into my life again last night, I made a decision. As much as I wish I could just be through with you, that's just not an option right now. We have to learn how to live with each other. So I'm turning the other cheek. I will find the good in you somehow and perhaps, throughout the next 4.5 years when I have to be in your presence every winter, we can be civil to one another. And even if you decide to dump on me, which you always seem to do at the most inconvenient times, I will not hate you. I won't let myself. I will have a new attitude concerning you: I will not allow you to control my mood, my eating habits, my sleeping habits or any of my habits for that matter. I will be happy. I am stronger than this and I will not allow you to control me anymore. You and your flaky self will not get to me. I will not think of you like this:
I will think of you like this:
And hey, who knows? Over the coming years, we might learn to actually like each other again. Maybe even friends with benefits.Cordially yours,
Annie
11 comments:
That is awesome! Well said. Right on. Go you! We haven't been dumped yet, but when we do, I will reread this for personal power.
This post reminded me of the part when Squints starts going crazy about Wendy Peffercorn lotioning up at the pool. I needed that!
I preferred guerrilla warfare while in Provo. Simple steps: bring to a boil, toss outside, and repeat. Simple and effective.
Oh Annie - you are making me dread our first snow (which if the weather man is to be believed may be this week)! I only have a few more weeks to endure though and then I will be in Arizona for a full month of 60 degree weather!
Ok, so did you make up that blog tag post thatIdidn'tdobecauseI'm lazy? Just had to ask, because I found it on a blog of a HS friend.
Amen. I hate snow. Iowa cured me of any mystique this Oregonian once had about the stuff. Now that I'm Arizona bound all I can do is scratch my head and wonder why everyone doesn't live there.
i wore shorts and a t shirt yesterday. move to texas when you're doing with all that PA crap.
UGH!
and AMEN!
By George, I think you've got it. Photography of all things snow (contrast, varied lighting, perfect background for juxtaposition of colors, visual texture, your childrens extra rosy cheeks). It really does have alot to offer from that perspective.
I know, easy to say from Southern Cal.
you should write a book. seriously I would read it! You are too funny!
I just love you and the way you explain yourself. Sad to say but I miss snow! Try living in HELL! You will then wish for snow.
Post a Comment