Thursday, September 27, 2007

Structure is good.

Sometimes the way we perceive ourselves isn't entirely correct.  Like the time my room mates in college told me I was boy crazy, to which I denied profusely.  I felt like I was no more boy crazy than the next girl, which now after re-reading some of my journal entries from back then, couldn't be more untrue as every single one of these pages are filled with past, current and future love interests.  My little brothers, who have recently confessed to reading my diaries, can confirm this.  Grrr.  I remember the look of shock and amazement on my friends' faces after scoffing and denying that I was in no way boy crazy.  The look said: "How can you be so completely oblivious to this cold, hard fact?"  Yup, they were were spot on.  

I also never thought of myself as a structured person.  "I'm an artist.  I'm not supposed to be structured.  I am a free spirit."  And maybe I wasn't until recently or until Ruby was diagnosed with D.  I don't know, but the other day, I realized that I am indeed structured, almost anal-retentively so.  I have a daily planner: a Moleskine notebook which I religiously keep my schedule, lists, etc. in, and it is the best creation ever.  
A hard cover notebook with a pocket in the back with an elastic closure; lined, blank or graphed paper; small, medium or large; all sorts of color selections, though only the classic black is show here:
  
I love them.  

This could possibly be what heaven looks like:
Not only do I have my Moleskine, I also keep a calendar on my computer, my iCal, which is color coded and like all things Apple, aesthetically pleasing and user friendly.  In addition to those calendars, I also have a big one I keep in my art room on a large white board, which I also update.  Yes, I realize I am writing everything down multiple times.  And, to top it off, in my journals, I have found myself making mini-calendars.  (Right, John?  Right, Joe?)  Sometimes these calendars are made to count down events I am looking forward to, but also I have made daily calendars in which I have scheduled every single minute of my day...Yah.  I know.

So, I just wrote this big paragraph in defense of my crazy calendaring, listing all the benefits of being this bizarre, but then I deleted it after just deciding to go with this:  Ok, fine.  I'm crazy. But I like it and it works for me.

Ok, I've gone past my allotted Blog Time.  I'm late to Blow My Nose.

6 comments:

KatieB said...

what happened to the annie i knew in college who found "order in chaos?" and had elizabeth complaining: "I can't live like this anymore" after cleaning your side of the room for the umpteenth time? i'm glad you've found something that works for you. i am obsessed with making lists too.

[BrookeO] said...

It too,if we are confessing is an obsession of mine. It works. I have a dry erase board system, color coded as well. I have a minibook with my diaper bag that I can't live without either. Do you think it is because we are getting old and can't remember everything or because things in life just seem to matter more than the carefree days of college or are we bored??!
I need to check me out some moleskine...I'll get right on that, let me schedule it in first...he! he!

bethany said...

I really like the Real Simple stuff-they have a notebook and a color coded calendar that I can't live without. I agree with Kate-that's the Annie I remember...who are you again? :) Then again, I didn't get all "listy" (or listee?) until I started teaching-I guess it eventually happens to the best of us.

[alisar] said...

This is a fine post. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. But it grieves my heart that I'm going to have to start scrolling down every time I want to reread "Too Hot To Handle." My new favorite Annie-ism.

Kristen said...

You are awesome, my "organization" is currently writing on scraps of paper, receipts and leaving myself messages on the answering machine. Sweet. Oh - and check my blog, I'm proud of my latest entry, I actually went thru old photo albums and scanned in some classic pics.

Jessie Riley said...

I did NOT know this about you. Too funny. I wish I were more like this. I tend to forget anything/everything that is going on in my life and I'm NOT organized enough to keep with something like this. (big sigh)

I LOVE that book though. I'd buy it... maybe it would help!