Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Athleticism Later in Life: Part One

As I child I was not what you'd call "athletic."  This was something I developed much later, an arduous and embarrassing journey of sweat and tears.  Join me for a trot down memory lane.

I tried soccer for a season in fifth grade, a miserable several months in which I was to endure humiliation every Saturday, followed by a baggie of sliced oranges, a Kudos bar and a Squeeze-It.

Welcome to Phase 1 of  3 of My Awkward Stage.  Comfy?
Then there was swimming, which I was better at but still not fantastic, which I did the summers after the 6th and 7th grades.

Summer after 6th: Phase 2 of My Awkward Stage. 
 Summer after 7th: And now tapering off into Phase 3, the final stage. (That is, until I over-plucked my eyebrows my sophomore year and My Awkward Stage started over again.  But that's a whole different post.)
During high school, I took a big hiatus from all things athletic.  I was too busy being a hippy and kissing my boyfriend.

College rolled around the Freshman 15 hit.  I went to the RB (the workout room at BYU) a couple of times, but all I really did was half-heartedly do the StairMaster and pretend to read a magazine while I stared at boys. 

To be continued...

5 comments:

Wendy said...

Those swimming pictures are classic. I have far too many of those. Why must they pose us at that angle? Seriously!?

Kissing your boyfriend? I don't remember that. Does he have a name?

Ashlie n Jonathan said...

You are a riot! I love your long golden locks in the last picture! What beautiful hair!!! Your "awkward" stage was much nicer to you than most! I can't wait to read the rest...

KatieB said...

it makes me so happy to see that you had an awkward stage like the rest of us. when i met you i remember thinking you must have been born perfect and cool. loved the escapades through athleticism. glad i got to be there for the college ones :)

Leilana Warren said...

the swimming pics remind me of Sue. I think she gave me one of her annual swimming pics from 4th grade on. They're in a box somewhere, awaiting to rear the embarassing head on her wedding day. Haha, jk. Maybe.

Graham Fam said...

Love these pics. You are too hot.