So a year after the Ballet Incident, I find someone who will actually marry me and he happens to be a work-out-aholic. While we are dating, he invites me on several occasions to come work out with him at the RB/Fieldhouse, to which I decline and make up excuses like "You know what? I think I'm allergic to foot powder. You wouldn't believe the amount of foot powder that is floating through the air ducts of those buildings. I don't want to risk another breakout like last time," and "Yah, I have this thing with tiled hallways. I get vertigo." I guess I always could have gone with "Well, you see, there was this one time I had to run all the way home from the RB in the snow without any pants on, so I'm kinda turned off to the place," and it would have sounded just as good. 
So somehow I trick the Work-Out-aholic into marrying me. Isn't he pretty? One of the first things we do after we move to downtown SLC, in typical Work-Out-aholic fashion, is join a gym. For the next 9 months we live there, he pleads and begs everyday to come to the gym with him, to which I always give in into because we are newlyweds and at this tender, early stage in our marriage, I am still a nice wife. But to my surprise, as the weeks tick by, I start looking forward to kickboxing, yoga and aerobics. This is a win-win situation. He doesn't have to beg me anymore and I'm not getting fat.
But of course, we have a one step forward, two steps back situation when we move to Iowa and a couple of months later, I am pregnant. The Work-Out-aholic, now a busy med student, starts to plead and beg for me to come to the gym with him after school/work. On most occasions I decline. Why? Because we've made it past the year mark and every day after that, I get potentially meaner. That and I'm usually still digesting the cheesecake my co-workers have fed The Pregnant Girl at work. When I do actually give in and go, my time is usually spent sitting in the women's locker room reading trashy magazines.
Work-out-aholic: So how was your work out?
Pregnant Girl: Very educational.
Surprise! I gain 50 pounds while pregnant with Ruby. I can recall a conversation I have with my very sensitive, caring and warm OB.
Pregnant, Fat Girl: I've gained so much weight! What should I do?
Very Sensitive, Caring and Warm OB: Stop eating so much! My gosh, stop putting food in your mouth, woman! Wire your jaw shut!

Two days later I have Ruby. This is her first picture. See these cheeks? They are made of cheesecake.
I have 35 pounds to lose.
To be continued...
8 comments:
Hi Annie!
I was reading a friend's blog (Brooke Oldroyd's) and I ran across your blog page and I couldn't believe it! I guess you guys know eachother from Iowa--small world. Brooke and I went to high school together. Anyway, I just wanted to say hi! It was fun to read a little about what's going on in your life. Your girls are adorable! Take care.
Tiraje Earnshaw
I am riveted and I already know these stories. Oh, and your OB ought to be shot, or at least strapped with an extra 50lbs. and injected with some post-pregnancy hormone shot.
Who was your ever so caring and loving O.B.?!?!
I've always thought of you as super SKINNY cute Annie!
HOW FUNNY. I totally remember the first time I met you. You were telling me and Teresa about HIDING OUT in the locker room and pretending to work-out!
I'm loving these stories!
Is this the same tender OB that I had a conversation with when my normal OB was on vacation:
OB: You're measuring really big, you will probably need a c-section.
Me: Look at these hips! Can't I at least TRY?
Warm and tender OB: Um, we have this thing called "Fetal Demise" and I bet you don't want to deal with that, do you?
Me: Uh....no....
Fast forward 3 weeks - he gets a kidney stone and is off call when my water breaks, and lucky me gets my regular OB instead! Thank you God!!!!! Too bad I ended up with the c-section anyway...but at least he didn't have anything to do with that.
This comment is regarding your RB incident: I remember that day vividly. I remember laughing my head off and for the next week or two when I had a free moment, picturing in my mind you scooting back to the dorms. I got to say, its good to hear that story again. Maybe you should add that you peed your pants (or lack of) on the way back to add even more drama.
You have me rolling!! Where do I start?! I can't. You are hilarious! Thanks for adding laughter and smiles to my life. I love your blog. You should write a book. =)
PS. Do you have Tiraje's contact info? She and Burton were in our ward at BYU. I would love to touch base with her again after all these years. If not, I will check the alumni directory. Thanks!
Post a Comment