




So I have busted my booty for the past 3 weeks making my bags - "Kinda Quirky. Little bags for little girls." - that was my little "business." Every spare second was spent making TONS of these things; I put my heart and soul into them, each one was different and unique from the rest and I did a good job. I'm saying all this because I failed miserabley. It started 3 weeks ago, I paid my $40 entry fee and managed to get a primo spot located in the center of the middle school gymnasium, worked my tail off and made 20 bags in all, neglected all other responsibilties pretty much for the following 3 weeks, got no sleep at all, constructed a really cute display for them to hang on, set up babysitters for my kids since Brandon was on call, loaded and unloaded (and then loaded and unloaded again when I got home) ALONE, hung up my beloved bags and waited for the masses to come but was sorely disappointed when the masses came, oohed and aahed over them, but then hung them back up and went on their merry way to buy their hodge-podge kitchy potpurri poop. Let me give you a mental picture of what the Hershey Craft Show looked like. A middle school with every hallway, classroom, cafeteria and gymnasium sectioned off into 5x15 ft. squares, designating each booth. Such booths held things such as Pittsburg Steelers fleece "no-sew" blankets, dried gourds painted like geese, croteched yarn "dish cloths", rock candy, New York Yankee stadium seat cushions, slap bracelets, dried flower wreaths, things made out of popcicle sticks and pipe cleaners...you get the idea: CRAP!!! Crap. Crap. Crap. I had several other vendors tell me that this wasn't the type of venue that I should be selling my bags at, but I should sell them at "high end boutiques" or "funky artsy farsty shows." That was nice, but what did that say about them and their products? Anyway, so that's my next step - hitting boutiques up and seeing how they do there. I'm also thinking about starting up a website, so we'll see. I'm posting pictures of a couple of my little beauties. Here they are. I THINK THEY'RE COOL. This isn't going to stop me. No siree. These country bumpkins aren't going to squash my little dreams. Hmph.
8 comments:
Can I buy one? I call dibs on the purse at the end. The one with the colored circles.
Pearls before swine, my love, pearls before swine.
It's like bringing champagne to a frat party. It's classy and lovely, but all the locals want is smelly beer. (Perhaps an odd analogy for a teetotaling mormon, but an appropriate one for the circumstances).
Hang in there, greatness isn't achieved in a day, but you can do it!
Do you think that next year you could pick me up a couple of dried gourds painted like geese? I just LOVE those!
They're darling, Annie! How much are they going for?
Oh Annie, I think all of your efforts were worth the comic relief the list of the Hershey crafts just provided Will & I at the end of a busy day! I think the bags are SO cute, and I like your business name too. Send me an e-mail with the pictures attached so I can show some girls in my ward. I've got several who would love something like that for their girls. Good luck!
I second all of the above! Your bags are amazing, and plenty of people with GOOD taste will buy them! I'm glad the craft show is over so you can devote time to your blog again (selfish, I know).
You did a lovely job!!! Have you thought of ebay just to test the waters??? Just make sure the reserve is set right. :) And I love the rick-rack purse!!!! I love all of them, but i'm a big rick-rack fan. and no, i'm not making fun of you...just myself! I had this sweet pair of pants with rick-rack on the pockets when I was like, 4 or something, and they were my favorite!!! 1980, baby!
So, can I give you a little business???? Let me know. :)
let me know if you are selling... I really like the ladybug one.
Do you have an Etsy shop?
Post a Comment