Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Hand Foot & Mouth Disease

This is the latest little germ that's been hanging around our house. My children are petri dishes, I've decided. It doesn't matter that we go through economy sized antibacterial soap bottles faster than you can, I don't know, tie your shoe. With a husband who has O.C.D. tendancies when it comes to washing his hands, I'm pretty sure it's not Brandon bringing the little bugs home. I was going to post a picture off the internet of what Hand Foot & Mouth disease looks like just for kicks, but then I thought that those of you reading this that have not been exposed to the same horrific medical school text book pictures that I have might be grossed out. As for me, I am now desensitized from all things guts and blood. The picture I was going to post was of a child's tongue covered with dime sized pussy sores, which is what is currently covering my Ruby's mouth. Needless to say, the absolute LAST thing she wants to do is eat. But people, especially children, with Diabetes HAVE to eat every two hours so she has literally been crying all day and all night (2 nights ago she finally fell asleep at 3:30 am, last night at 2 am and of course still wakes up at 6:30 am anyway) and there's nothing I can do but keep giving her non-effective Tylenol and force her to eat so she doesn't end up in the hospital. So, as I sit here on the brink of insanity, what do I decide to do? Blog, of course!

5 comments:

LITTLE MISS said...

Hi Annie! I love your blog! You're so cute!!

Um, this happened to my girls a few months ago. There's a numbing mouthwash you can get...it's a prescription for "Magic Mouthwash". You swish 5mL and spit before each meal. it's still not ideal, but it's better than nothing.

Hope they feel better soon!!
; )

Kristen said...

Ugh...we're in the middle of bronchitis...both Rhys and I. Working in the hospital is just great on my iron lungs!

I hope you guys get better.....

[alisar] said...

I am beginning to wonder about you guys. Ulcertive colitis, juvenile diabetes, HF&M disease??? Reminds me of the story of Job. Make sure your house doesn't fall down on anyone and keep your eye out for swarms of locusts. Does lambs blood over the doorway still help ward off evil spirits? Might be worth a try :)
P.S. Only the strongest get tested like this. Hang in there!

Audra Bollard said...

NOTHING is worse than sick kids . . . my sympathies Annie, hang in there! At the very least, it made for an interesting blog--Will & I didn't realize that HG&M diesease was still something people really got :) Love you!

Julie said...

That sounds awful! Poor Ruby! I hope you have a blender and lots of straws on hand! And I hope that it clears up soon.