Dear lady sitting next to me at the sushi restaurant in Omaha seven years ago,
"Your baby has such a round face!" you exclaimed as you peered over the booth at my second child, wedged snuggly between the vinyl-covered seat and my ample thighs. "Thank you," I replied as I chopsticked a large piece of sushi into my mouth and gazed down at my beautiful baby, trying not to drip soy sauce on her already stained hand-me-down sleeper.
"I would call her face a "moon-pie" face. It looks as round as a moon-pie! You know, it's so round, she'll get teased by boys later on in life. I hope she grows into her face, you know, for her own sake," you said with a piece of rice stuck to your lip bobbing up and down with each syllable you spoke.
I decided that comment wasn't worth exercising my table-manners and so, with a mouth full of an entire spider roll, I said "Nah wah. Ah hoff hah ayff ef ahwayff eff wahnd," which, in case you didn't speak Mouth Full of Spider Roll, translates to: "No way. I hope her face is always this round."
I'm sure you meant well. Most people in the Midwest do. They're just that way. They are a humble people, forced to eat raw fish that has travelled across, like, 12 states before it gets to them and for that, I am sorry. I am not sorry, however, for my beautiful second child's perfectly circular face and the impression it made on you that day. In fact, I just got that "moon-pie" face printed large and on canvas where it will be showcased front and center somewhere in our home and I can't wait to hang it up. And just so you know, she's 7 and a half years old, her face is almost still just as round and she doesn't get teased by boys. In fact, she gets chased.
Sorry about that sushi. May your oval-faced days be filled with spicy yellowtail and an ecoli-free existence.
Sorry about that sushi. May your oval-faced days be filled with spicy yellowtail and an ecoli-free existence.
Sincerely,
Annie Reynolds

5 comments:
Gorgeous gal! Wish I was half as witty as her mom.
luvs, aby
If it's not too late - buy the book on tape "Weezie and the Moon Pies, Stories by Bill Harley" for you and the kids to listen to on your drive here tomorrow. You will not regret it!
love it!
and i bet that beautiful, round face is great for planting big smooches on!
LOVE this!
She's sooo pretty!
https://www.cekaja.com/info/cara-membuat-website-dengan-mudah
Post a Comment