Monday, November 19, 2012

I Can Do Gum

Me: Olive, what do you want for Christmas?

Olive: Hmmmm.  I know!  A Barbie!  That talks!  And is alive!

Me:  Huh.  Interesting.  What else?

Olive: Hmmmm. A roller coaster!  That I can put in my room!  And that I can ride on!

Me:  Mmmmm...all right.  What else?

Olive:  Gum!

Well, at least she'll be getting at least one thing she wants for Christmas.  I admire her imagination though, and her childlike disconnect from the harsh realities that adulthood can bring, such as knowing that a roller coaster would in no way fit in her room, and that alive Barbies who talk actually do exist but we try to avoid their kind, as to lessen any amount of violent thoughts we may have towards them and their perfect everythings.  As for me, I'm still waiting on that metal detector.

2 comments:

MOMMACITA said...

I think I might be a kindred spirit with that delightful creature. And I would give her gum right out of my purse in an instant. And then she would love me. And you might have to find a roller coaster at target. Love this story

KatieDid said...

You might be able to make her roller coaster dream come true. Step 2 makes an "Extreme Coaster" you should check it out!