Tuesday, November 08, 2011

I'd Like to Bear My Testimony That I Know Zantac is True

I've had a rough couple of weeks, mainly because my baby had been having a rough couple of weeks. It was a wrestling match getting her to latch on and stay latched on even though I knew I was prepping her for perfect latching, she wasn't tongue-tied, etc. She was really gassy, so I cut out dairy, chocolate, spicy-ness, onions and garlic (all of my favorite things...boo) but nothing really improved. I was a wreck--so tired and emotionally drained and worried. It had been 2 weeks and she was still several ounces under her birth weight. She wasn't sleeping well and was never content like my other babies had been. I've been really lucky to have great, easy babies (with the exception of trying to get Ruby to nurse, which is a whole different blog post.)
She had a hard time eating, sleeping, and just...existing, it seemed. Like I said, I thought it was gas until a couple of days ago, when suddenly it hit me: "Duh. Acid reflux." She's only my third child to have it, you think I would be more cognisant of the symptoms. Anyway, I got her into the doc last night, took a late trip to the pharmacy, got her to ingest the nasty medicine and she's like a new baby. She's suddenly like her sisters as babies: sweet and good and easy. I know it's only been like 15 hours but I finally feel like she's mine, whereas a couple of days ago, I was looking down at this skinny, undernourished (because she won't eat), screaming, shrieking, clawing, red faced tiny baby and thinking "Did they switch her in the hospital with my real baby? Does this little person even belong to me?" It sounds horrible to say but even though I knew I loved her, I wasn't sure I was "liking" her enough and I was ridden with guilt. I just had never experienced a baby as challenging as this and was really having a hard time with it. But last night I gave her some Zantac and she ate and ate and ate, and went right to sleep, slept good chunks at night, ate really good at night (which was always our worst time) and has been a sweety AND smiled at me this morning and napping and calm and observant and sleepy and awake and not a peep have I heard from her. *deep breath* I can breathe again.

5 comments:

Aby Runyan said...

I've had those times of "is this my baby" FOR SURE. I'm so glad she's feeling better. It's the worst as a parent when you know something is wrong but just can't find the magic to fix it. Can you imagine living in the days of NO medication? Yikes.

luvs, aby

KatieB said...

so glad the medicine worked! i have had quite a few friends with babies with reflux now and it sounds awful! i hope it's smooth sailing from here on out.

bethany said...

Wish I would have heard of this medicine with Jak. Glad it is working! Fussy babies are so so hard to deal with.

Amy Phelps said...

I have the same testimony of Zantac. Glad it's working. Glad things are turning for the better too! 4 kids is crazy enough when everything is running smoothly. Congratulations on a beautiful healthy baby! Wishing you all the best. (I'm kicking myself for not doing pictures this summer...as it's November and I have nothing for Christmas! Hope we can make up for it next year!)

ericareynolds said...

I love Zantac. I'm convinced Kate was such a miserable baby because I had yet to discover it. It took me two months with Ella! Argh! I'm glad you figured it out. And here's the funny part: I asked Go how you were doing and if Juniper was a good baby and he told me she was good and you were doing great! HAHA. MEN.