If you've spent much time with our family or are a very observant bloggy person, you might notice that Ruby's insulin pump is loosely slung about her waist and hangs down in between her legs. Not a good look, especially on a little girl...
There aren't many options out there for insulin pump cases. Boys usually slide them into a plastic case made by the pump company that has a clip and clip them to their belts or pant loops like a pager. Since Ruby prefers skirts, she has to wear a belt around her waist and hangs it from there. We usually use CaseLogic MP3 cases that fit her pump great, but they have been discontinued. Since then, I have a great pal who sent me some cases and I found some on eBay and we've been using those. But, like I said, they hang down vertically and flap around and it gives me all kinds of heebeejeebees, so last week I set out to make her a new pump case and a new belt. I'm kind of surprised I didn't do this before.
We wanted it nice and sturdy, so after purchasing some leather, Go and I came up with pattern inspired by my beloved Moleskine books, with an elastic band closure. I've never sewn on leather before and was sort of dreading it but our Bernina is a champ. Leather was a totally fun material to work with. We bought several different kinds but Ruby was drawn to the ox blood because it was "smoooooooth." She's a very tactile child.
Here they are together, her new belt and case. Nothing fancy, but I think they turned out pretty good. I'm thinking of adding some sort of embellishment since they're for little girls and then selling them on etsy...we'll see. I've been talking about selling things on etsy about three times a week since its launch years and years ago and still haven't done a single thing so...yah.

11 comments:
That looks fantastic!! Way to go!! You are amazing!
Oh that is so much nicer!!!!!!!!!!!
Amazing Annie!
Very, very cool. I'm so impressed.
I love it-so innovative.
And I second you in thinking you should start up a shop. You could totally advertise on sites that cater to children with diabetes.
Very nice. Love the red.
Love it. Can't wait to see it in person!
Julie and I were just talking about the pump case and it's placement the other day. We were trying to decide if it was just the only place you could get it to hang and stay or if it was some sort of sick Garlock humor. I'm happy to know the answer. I LOVE what you did with the new one. I too am surprised you didn't do it earlier. You should know that I think you can do anything and create anything. In fact, I'm positive you can. You are Wonder Woman to me. Go Etsy Go! Go Etsy Go!
Oh, soooo much better! Great job. I too, have wanted to work with leather but was a little nervous. Good to know someone who actually did it!
I made a woven leather hobo bag in college. Ask your mom how awesome that thing was. It was a soft leather, like mocasin leather. and you're right. it was fun to sew on it. they had this big honkin leather machine in the art depo and I wish I could see the likes of it agin. I'd make Ruby a woven leather hobo pump case outta leathah and then she'd say who did this and then you could tell her all about mommacita. and then she'd say oh.
You really should sell them. People would buy them. You could advertise them on some diabetes support group sites. I assume there are such things. Brilliant. Because every mother wants her child's insulin pump to be cute. Have I written enough to let you know that I think you have created something AMAZING and MARKETABLE?
Post a Comment