I had started this entry a couple of weeks ago but got distracted and never finished it. I found it in my drafts today:
Dental Hygienist: So are you from here originally?
Me: No. California.
Dental Hygienist: Really? Well, Pennsylvania is far from home.
Me: Yep.
D.H.: What are you doing out here?
Me: My husband is a resident at the medical center.
D.H.: And what do you do?
Me: I stay at home with my kids.
D.H.: Oh...so do you have any hopes of going back to school yourself? What about your dreams?
Me: Um. I don't know. Maybe I'll get my masters someday.
D.H.: That sure sounds like a long road.
Me: A masters? Not really.
D.H.: Well, how much longer do you have until you have your undergrad?
Me: I graduated college.
D.H.: Oh. But I thought you said you stayed at home.
Me: I do. I just also have a bachelor's degree.
D.H.: ...Oh...
Heaven forbid there be an educated stay at home mother just wondering about.
11 comments:
Did she have to use any of her instruments to haul her foot out of her mouth? AND most hygienists graduate with an associate degree...
The nerve of some people...
I hate that misconception.
i was thinking the same thing BR said. so happy to see a post, they've been sparse and i've been missing them.
I just love it when people I work with imply to me that "following your dreams" and "staying at home to raise kids someday" are mutually exclusive.
Haha. Amazing. Hope you had garlic for lunch.
But what about YOUR dreams Annie??? hahaha who even asks that.
The irony of it is that you don't stay home - you teach spin (can't believe you didn't bust that out on her, so she'd know that you could take it if it got ugly(er) AND you are often out on photo shoots.
A big part of it for me in this conversation, would be that there was any conversation at all - as your title indicated. I don't want to be there anyway, I just want to close my eyes and drift off to the Lido deck. To have to chat it up with a stranger, who is expecting you to respond when your mouth is full of their hands...I've never understood that and always resented it.
heaven forbid.
and i like what BR said.
hee hee, that's funny. Everyone asks me the same thing--when they find out I have a Masters Degree they're surprised I'm not working...as if being a mom isn't work. duh. It's easier to let people dress me up, do my hair/makeup, tell me I'm fabulous and sing notes that make most people explode. Now I dress up three little people, do their hair, scrub makeup off the couch cushions, and yell notes when I feel like I'm going to explode.:)
You know what, I started typing a comment and then realized there is nothing I could say succinctly that would properly express my disgust.
Post a Comment