Saturday, August 04, 2007

Where Everybody Knows Your Name


I always like to go back to Irvine, which I've been lucky enough to do at least twice a year since I've moved away. I didn't, however, enjoy coming back and being here when our family's dog Bobby died which happened yesterday morning. For those of you who grew up with me/my fam, you know what an intregal part he is to the Garlock family. This isn't a picture of him but this is what he looked like about 13 years ago. Yesterday was a sad, sad day. Fortunately for my Dad, my girls were here when Bobby's time came. I believe that they are two of only a few things that he loves as much as he does Bobby. He was a good Boo.

I do like being home. I like seeing my old crusty fruit stickers still stuck on my window sill, my growth chart in my closet, which includes not only mine, but my brothers', my girls', my husband and two of my friends from high school. I like playing on my old piano, which isn't fancy but has that same familiar sound. I like seeing the peach tree that I planted myself in my front yard, which is now big, creates a good bit of shade and produces fruit, which are two of my favorite things. I like walking around my neighborhood, it hasn't changed much which is rare for Irvine. There are so many new parts of this city and new neighborhoods and shopping centers, I miss the small feel of it, I miss feeling like I was always seeing the same people over and over, so that bugs. What also bugs is my parents' PC. If I were a rich man, ya ha deedle deedle bubba bubba deedle deedle dum, I'd buy my parents a Mac.

7 comments:

Jessie Riley said...

I've missed you!
I'm SO SORRY about your doggie. I'm afraid that our doggie's time is comming to an end soon too. and I DO NOT WANT TO BE HERE WHEN IT DOES! (We might have to knock my mom out for a few days... or years!)

I LOVE the pictures of the tub. SO FUN!

And... I love how you described your time home. I feel this way too. Familiar is GOOD! I love being HOME!
When I enter the MAC world... will you teach me how to use it? :)

Kasey said...

I'm so sorry about Bobby! I totally remember when you guys got him. We were there for some reason. I can't remember why. Glad you and the girls got to see him one last time!

Anonymous said...

Get rich. Quick.

Kristen said...

So sorry about your dog. It IS hard and we had to deal with that this spring with our family dog too. I had no idea it would hit my parents so hard, she had been sick for awhile and we would joke about this being her last treat, rub, whatever for years..... Rhys is still looking for Abby - but I'm glad you got to say goodbye too.

Shannon said...

Is your peach tree the one sister Wong gave us in Sunday school? I still have mine too.

Shannon said...

Oh, and I'm so sorry about your cute doggie. He was definetly part of the family. That is too bad dogs don't live longer.

Matt said...

Bobby will be missed. I remember one year we actually considered putting him as one of your family members on the back of the reunion t-shirts. But that year we had some divorces and some additions that weren't technically married so we bagged the whole name thing in general. He was one of the only dogs I liked. I hope Uncle Tom is ok.